The characteristics that define us, and also contribute to whom we become; if there is no refinement of these then there is no progression towards the celestial law in which we pursue.
I found this poem as I was reading my FDAMF (American Foundations) homework. The poem was written by William Wordsworth in the 1800's :
"The World Is Too Much With Us; Late and Soon"
The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
The sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathering now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I , standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.
I read the line that was sourced and had to look up the rest of the poem. I then continued on to read another quote by Brother Stone whom wrote the assigned reading:
"We can live as a Zion people, if we wish to. Will it be hard? Of course it will, for the waves of Babylonian culture crash incessantly against our shores. Will it take courage? Of course it will.
We have always been entranced by tales of courage of those who faced fearsome odds and overcame. Courage is the basis and foundation for all of our other virtues; the lack of courage diminishes every other virtue that we have. If we are to have Zion in the midst of Babylon, we will need courage."
(this is such a great talk! continue reading it at "Zion in the mIdst of Babylon by Elder David R. Stone, April 2006)
I wish that we could all live with that kind of courage! How inspiring that would be !!!!
I wish that we could all live with that kind of courage! How inspiring that would be !!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment